|Bringing you more news than you can shake a stick at since September 8, 2001|
|Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring
"Extended cut" DVD preview
|Assorted: The final batch--Amon Hen, Lorien, Galadriel's swanship, Trollshaw, Moria, and the "destruction" of the Shire. The thumbnails are a shorthand guide to other sites' full-size images, and we are indebted to these original sources. Decipher, Fantasy Planet, and Numenoreen in particular have extensive galleries with hundreds of images, and we encourage you to visit their sites. Additionally, in the case of Decipher cards, we cannot guarantee these precise shots will appear on the DVD--only that they exist. Please use our Contact email form for questions or comments. See the Newstracker for the latest on Lord of the Rings and other hot movies in development and production.|
|Lord of the Rings posters at AllPosters.com|
|7/8: Leaving Rivendell
7/9: Galadriel's gifts
7/10: Midgewater Marshes; Hollin
7/11: Dimrill Dale; Escape from Moria?
7/12: The Shire; more from Rivendell
7/16/02: The final round-up, including Galadriel's swan-ship and outtakes from Lorien
Want to know more?
See the Newstracker for the latest on LOTR and other movies big and small...
Sign up for our site update newsletter...
Check out our other Lord of the Rings features...
Or discuss! The message board is here.
For specific questions, comments, or additional pictures you've found, please use our email form.
1. Decipher: "Something Draws Near." Many different sites have reported that extra Amon Hen battle footage will be included, although we have no specifics at this time.
2. How does Frodo find time to take a nap?
3. Merry and Pippin discuss something on the Anduin riverbank.
4. New Moria footage will be added as well.
4b. See an actual screenshot from the FOTR DVD at TheOneRing.net.
5. Numenoreen. Note Gimli in the upper lefthand corner.
6. Decipher: "Gimli's Pipe."
7. Decipher: "Let Folly Be Our Cloak." While the quote is actually taken from the Rivendell scene in the book, the picture seems to match #3.
Lorien by night
8. Fantasy Planet. Behind the scenes shot of Orlando Bloom with Peter Jackson and, to the far right, Sean Astin.
9. Fantasy Planet. From the same clip as above.
10-12 Numenoreen: Shots of the hobbits unable to sleep, presumably while Boromir and Aragorn are discussing Minas Tirith. Note the angle of the camera here: that's a mallorn tree Frodo is leaning up against.
11. Numenoreen. Pippin.
12. Numenoreen. Merry.
The Mirror of Galadriel
13-18. Hatch FX posted four FX matte painting compositions they created for the alternate future that Frodo sees in the mirror. (The thumbnails will take you to the images hosted at Numenoreen, if only because the page layout is easier to navigate than Hatch FX, but please visit them as well if you're interested in seeing more.)
16-18. If you look closely, you can see in this fourth picture...
Rosie, Sam, and possibly Pippin...
17. Sam, with Frodo (or possibly Merry) just behind him...
18. Pippin, Rosie, and Sam behind her. But all in the same picture?
Leaving Lorien: Outtakes
19. We have no idea what sort of behind the scenes footage or outtakes will be on the DVD--only that documentarian Costa Botes has shot thousands, if not millions, of feet of film during production of the three movies. These four pictures are all from Fantasy Planet.
20. Aragorn, Elves, Legolas in back-ground.
21. Viggo Mortensen and Orlando Bloom, the wise-cracking Elf.
22. Bloom rowing. (Greetings from the Land of Duh! But we needed a caption, so there you go.)
23. Numenoreen. And finally, the pièce de résistance, the scene Cleolinda wanted to see most in the film. You saw snippets of this in the theatrical version as Frodo receives the Phial and the Fellowship departs.
24. Fantasy Planet. We can't tell if that central figure is Galadriel or not.
25. Numenoreen. This shot, or something very like it, did appear in the film to our recollection.
26. Numenoreen. Galadriel see them off from the riverbank.
27. Decipher: "Galadriel, Lady of Light."
29. Numenoreen. We're not sure how this would work out in the movie, but in the book, Galadriel catches up to them in the boat afterwards.
30. Fantasy Planet.
31. Decipher: "The Swanship of the Gala-dhrim."
34. Fantasy Planet, behind the scenes. We don't know if this will end up on the DVD per se--only that this sequence, which introduces Arwen, was more "shaw" and less "troll" in the theatrical version.
35. Decipher: "Trollshaw Forest."
Aragorn and the hobbits are dwarfed by the stone trolls from "The Hobbit."
36. Fantasy Planet. Similar shot to above.
37. Fantasy Planet. Aragorn is not impressed. In the book, there was a nice bit about Merry and Pippin being afraid of the "trolls," until Aragorn investigates for himself ("Get up, old stone!")
And thus concludes our preview of everything we've seen, at this point in time, of deleted images and scenes, many of which have been confirmed to be on the DVD in one form or another. If you're interested in hearing about updates to this page or the Daily Digest in general, you can sign up for the weekly newsletter at our Yahoo Group.